Posted on: SEP 25, 2018
Posted by: STOKES-COFFEE
Tags: cake chai recipe vegan
225ml unsweetened almond milk
2 Chai teabags
1 tsp ground cinnamon
400g white spelt flour – If you can’t get the white spelt flour, which is magnificent in muffins, use 300g plain flour and 100g plain wholemeal (not bread) flour instead.
2½ tsp baking powder
150g soft light brown sugar
75g almonds, roughly chopped
1 large, very ripe banana
150ml sunflower oil
- Warm the almond milk with the contents of the 2 teabags (Just rip them open over the pan) and cinnamon – stirring to mix – and leave to cool.
- While the milk’s cooling, preheat the oven to 200C/180C Fan/Gas 6 and line a 12-hole muffin tin with paper cases.
- In a large bowl, measure out the flour, baking powder, sugar and all but 2 tablespoons of the chopped almonds, and combine well.
- When the milk has cooled, add the banana and oil, then whisk well.
- Add the liquid ingredients to the dry ingredients, using a wooden spoon. Don’t be too efficient about this: a slightly lumpy batter makes for lighter muffins. Divide the mixture between the muffin cases (it will fill them well), then sprinkle equally with the remaining almonds and bake for 20–25 minutes, or until a cake tester comes out clean and the muffins are slightly risen and pleasingly golden-brown on top.
- Remove to a wire rack to cool for about 10 minutes before devouring.