Posted on: MAR 1, 2018
Posted by: HELEN PEPPER
The Rise of the Rooibos
Many of us are aware of the benefits of drinking tea, particularly green tea due to it’s high antioxidant level. Fewer of us are aware that rooibos tea (or red bush tea) is a close second when it comes to health benefits.
Health benefits of red rooibos tea include its ability to cure headaches, insomnia, asthma, eczema, bone weakness, hypertension, allergies, and premature aging. This tea is absolutely free from caffeine content and is also low in tannins. Drinking rooibos tea can further ease severe stomach cramps, as well as bring relief from asthma and other related conditions. It also boosts the immune system.
Rooibos tea or red tea is an herbal beverage, with medicinal properties, that is acquired from the Aspalathus linearis bush plant found in South Africa. According to the South African Rooibos Council, rooibos is not a true tea, but an herb. The fermented tea is red in color. The health benefits of red rooibos tea are abundant. It is popular due to its great taste and unique color that come along with health benefits.
Its medicinal attributes have been confirmed by The US Department of Agriculture in Washington, D.C., which has affirmed that red rooibos tea is capable of reducing cancer, heart diseases, premature aging, and other serious conditions.
- Rooibos is all natural and contains no additives, preservatives or colorants.
- Rooibos is naturally free of caffeine and makes a terrific beverage for anyone avoiding caffeine late in the day or all together.
- The soothing effect that Rooibos seems to have on the central nervous system may make it an effective sleep aid.
- While Rooibos is high in antioxidants it is not as high as green and black teas.
- The antioxidants in Rooibos are also different than those found in green and black teas.
- Additionally, Rooibos is high in polyphenol content, another type of antioxidant.
- Rooibos has its own properties, one is a specific flavonoid that is found only in Rooibos called aspalathin.
- Of the 10 identified antioxidants present in Rooibos aspalathin is one of three that are found in the greatest quantities.
- Green Rooibos or the non-oxidized version has more antioxidant benefit than the more popular oxidized version.
- Rooibos contains numerous nutrients.
- Rooibos has been successfully used to treat the symptoms of colic in infants.
- Rooibos can relieve stomach and digestive disorders such as nausea, vomiting, heartburn, cramps and constipation in adults.
- Rooibos has shown promise in alleviating the symptoms of psoriases and aiding in the treatment of acne and aging when used topically and I predict it will be the next big thing in beauty products.
Stokes Tea & Coffee stock over 30 types of loose leaf tea including Rooibos and several unique blends exclusive to Stokes!
Information sourced from: